The safe transportation of our students is a top priority for the Republic R-III School District. To ensure that each route and trip provided to our students is safe and pleasant, it is imperative that a safe, clean and controlled environment is provided on the bus. In that regard, the following measures have been instituted to ensure student safety on the bus.
Please remember that riding a bus is a privilege and not a right.
All bus riders must adhere to the rider expectations to ensure safe transportation for all students. Unfortunately, if they do not, the privilege of riding the bus may be terminated for the safety of all concerned.
|Bus Rider's Rules and Expectations
- Respect and follow the bus driver's instructions at all times.
- Students are to sit in assigned seats as designated by the bus driver.
- Students must be at their bus stop in the morning. To remain on schedule and ensure adequate time for a school breakfast, the bus driver cannot wait for students that are not out at the designated stop.
- Students should be at the bus stop ten (10) minutes before, and wait until at least ten (10) minutes after your stop time while waiting for a bus.
- All students will only be transported to school and home on their regularly scheduled bus. Transportation cannot accept notes from parents or school officials to have students go to another stop other than their assigned stop.
- Students not assigned to a bus will not be transported.
- Students will only be transported to and from their assigned bus stop.
- If a student moves, the change of address and proof of residency must be approved at the student's individual building before a new bus assignment can be made.
- While waiting for the bus, line up in a single line at the side of the road, no pushing or shoving or playing in the road.
- If necessary to cross the road, students are required to do so in front of the bus, when the bus driver gives them the go ahead to do so.
- The unauthorized boarding of a bus is not allowed. This includes parents/guardians of students. Only district students and district personnel will be allowed on buses.
- Students must sit on the seat and face forward, not on their knees, backpack or books.
- Students must remain seated at all times while the bus is in motion.
- Students are required to speak quietly to each other.
- Keep hands, feet and other items to yourself, and inside the bus.
- Ensure that legs and feet are kept in the seat compartment, not in the aisle while being transported.
- Students should not throw any objects on the bus or out the window at any time.
- Students are expected to help keep the bus clean. Discarded items must be placed in the trash can on the bus.
- Students are expected to not carelessly or purposefully destroy bus equipment. Damage resulting from misbehavior shall be paid by the student, in addition to other assigned consequences.
- Students are expected to show consideration to other students and the bus driver by being courteous and well-mannered at all times. No profanity or abusive language allowed on the bus.
- The following will not be allowed on the bus: knives, firearms, or weapons of any type, skateboards, rollerblades, bicycles, live/dead insects or animals, glass containers, balloons, floral arrangements, large band instruments (Drums, English Horns, Tubas, Bassoons), hockey sticks, golf clubs, flags, and food items.
- Students must keep all food and drinks in their lunchbox or backpack and if it doesn’t fit in there it cannot come on the bus. The only exception is water and it is allowed in sealable container (no coffee, tea, soda or fruit drinks).
- Suckers, candy, gum, etc. are not allowed on the bus unless kept in the lunchbox or backpack. Suckers, candy, gum, etc are not to be sold to other students on the bus.
- Students should not bring on the bus any tobacco products or any type of electronic cigarette or other device used for vaping, smoking, etc.
- Students should not use any electronic device to video or take a photo of any other student on the bus. Students should keep electronic devices in their possession. The volume should be kept turned down or use earbuds/headphones. If the bus driver determines the electronic device is causing a distraction or other problems on the bus, the student will be instructed to put the device up or bring it to the bus driver until they get off.