Republic Schools Medication Policy & FAQ's

  • Click here for Republic RIII School Medication Policy
    Will my child's school give the first dose of a new medication?
    No, a parent/guardian will need to give the first dose a new medication.  The only time a new medication might be given by the nurse or school designee is in the event of a life threatening emergency situation (such as epinephrine, albuterol, Diastat)
    Can my child carry his/her own routine daily medications?
    No, a parent/guardian must provide to the health office the medication in it's orignal container and sign the appropriate paperwork for administration.  Exceptions would be diabetic supplies or emergency medications such as epinephrine or albuterol inhaler.  
    Can my child carry his/her diabetic supplies or emergency medication?
    Yes but these medications must be approved with the child's physician, school nurse and parent/guardian.  Appropriate paperwork must be on file in order for a student to self-administer medication.  An emergency action plan will be need to be provided by the student's physician.
    Can the chiropracter prescribe medications, over the counter or other treatments for my child?
    No, chiropracters do not have prescriptive authority.  Please refer to the State of Missouri licensing regulations. 
    Can I bring my child's medication in a baggy?
    No, all medication (OTC or prescribed) must come in it's original container with clear labeling and not expired. 
    Can the school give my child an alternative, herbal remedy or essential oils at my request?
    No, the school does not administer these items that are not a part of the IEP, 504 plan or a part of a student's treatment plan for a chronic medical condition.  In this scenario, the child's MD or DO would be required to provide medical direction on the alternative product, with potential side effects, appropriate dosing and onset of action.

Medication Administration Forms

  • Please note the medication administration form is 2 sided.  You will need to print BOTH pages below. 
    Print page 1 here and page 2 here
    Bring your child's medication in the original container to the school nurse with the above forms filled out.  This will help with a smooth and quick visit.  Please make sure the medication you are bringing is not expired as we will not accept expired medications.

Self Administration Medication Form

  • These forms are to be used for students needing to carry inhalers, EpiPens or other emergency medications.  Both forms are required to be filled out and signed.  Your physician's office can fax their page along with your student's emergency action plan to the building nurse.
    Parent permission form print here.  
    Doctor permission form print here.  Your doctor's office may fax or email to your building school nurse.